January 22, 2023
PPPA – WEEKLY EMAIL BLAST
In this week's blast:
- THE PPPA ONLINE STORE IS OPEN
* Round Robins: We have 840 members in various groups (2.0 - 4.0). We have RR’s set up to handle 220 players per week. Approx. 900 / month. These games are played at both MVP & BC courts when available. We are lucky to have 15-20 Great Round Robin Coordinators and Volunteers to help us with the Round Robin program. Thanks to All of them.
* Beginning Lessons: Lessons are held at Wasson Academy tennis courts which are dual striped for tennis and pickleball, 6 PB courts to use for training. The Beginning Instructor training is scheduled to be held 4/29/2023 at Wasson. We have been approved to use the facility at Wasson Academy for the 2023 season. We have not gotten the new cost quote for it as of this writing.
- In 2022 we gave 430+ new players lessons in PB basics, included 8 from the Wounded Warriors Project. I am trying to work with WWP to get other soldiers involved with WWP Beginning Lessons either after the regular lessons at Wasson or some other time and place. TBD.
- We want to thank Sherry Fairchild for her work with the Beg. Lessons for so many years. She will not be managing this year but will remain as an instructor.
- We would also like to thank Nancy Steffy for working so long and tirelessly to develop the training that we all give at these lessons and hope to have Nancy back with us in 2023 along with a strong and dedicated group of valuable instructors.
* Guided Play: GP will resume a week or so after the first Beg. Lessons start. We will have a great group of instructors for GP led by George Gorman.
*Ladder Play: Doubles - Singles We are getting more players involved with the ladder programs. Thanks to Meg Duncan and Tom Ferguson. In 2022 we developed and instituted an app that allows us to schedule and enter scores for these programs.
* DUPR: This is a free nationwide scoring system to help rate our members. Please check out their site and create your rating at myDUPR.com.
* Skills and Drills: We held no skills and drills last year but hope to renew this program in 2023.
Thanks again to all Volunteers, Instructors, and Board Members.
Please be mindful while you are playing at MVP. There have been reports of several cars being broken into. There was not much detail as to whether the break-ins were in the parking lot or along the side by the railroad tracks. If youre planning to play for long periods, it would probably be beneficial to take a break and go check on your car. I know most players are playing for hours at a time which allows for any vandalism or car break-ins to occur. If you witness any suspicious activity taking place, please be cautious and contact the police.
PPPA Board of Directors
COLEMAN PARK COMMUNITY PARK FORUM #3 - NEW DATE
PPPA Members, this is the "FINAL" Community Park Forum for the planning of the new Coleman Park on the Eastside of Colorado Springs. With the proper support the pickleball community could possibly gain up to 20 "New" Pickleball Courts. Please come out and support and wear your PPPA Name Tag & Gear!
Tuesday, January 31st
5:00 - 7 p.m.
Presentation starts at 5:30 p.m.
Sand Creek High School
Library, 2nd Floor
7005 Carefree Circle North, Colorado Springs, CO 80922
See link for more details:
A hybrid option in the form of a Teams meeting will be available. The link will be posted at the time of the meeting.
PPPA Board of Directors